Friday, June 27, 2008

Grandma's Kitchen 9($$)

Grandma’s Kitchen

This little restaurant is exactly what you would think; home style American food served piping hot in large American portions without loosing that “made just for you“ taste. Getting to this little gem was a little hard, it was a little further off the beaten path than we thought it would be, and we had an unexpected walk ahead of us getting there. But it was ultimately worth it. The location that we went to had a little living room set up in one corner with comfy couches and arm chairs in front of a fireless mantle and an indoor patio bistro set up in the other corner. The larger dinning room was just beyond the warp around coffee house counter. I would have to say that over all feeling was cute, with the wainscoting and molding you would find in a country kitchen, complete with cherry curtains.

On this occasion Kris and I just wanted that little bit of home. I ordered the spaghetti with meat sauce and garlic bread, and Kris ordered a Philly cheese steak sandwich. My spaghetti was wonderful, it was not the best I have ever had, but it was just what I wanted. The meat sauce was thick with ground pork barely and just enough tomato to keep the traditional color.

Kris’ sandwich, looked amazing, and considering how quickly it disappeared I have to assume that it tasted amazing. Kris remarked that it was the best Philly cheese steak sandwich he has ever had.

For taste I give Grandma’s Kitchen a 9 everything tasted good, was made from scratch and completed to perfection. They had a very extensive menu, including steaks and meatloaf; there were at least five different spaghetti dishes alone. Grandma’s only looses a point because I like to be impressed to give out perfect scores; Grandma’s met all my expectations.

For service I have to rate them, again, at a 9, it met my expectations.

For atmosphere I have to call it a family joint, this should seem obvious. It was very clean, and much larger and open than most little family run restaurants are in China. It would be an ok place to take a date but really only if you knew each other pretty well and were there for the food.

For Price, typical of Beijing, a meal here for two people was about 1 ½ $

Over all I give Grandma’s Kitchen a 9 out of 10. Again Grandma’s met all my expectations, but it did not really surprise me other than the fact I am usually disappointed. I definitely recommend going. They are supposed to have really good home made cheese cake.

No comments: